Cluttershrink is excited to share December‘s home maintenance checklist. Each month I will post a new list.
If you notice a task appears repeatedly, you are supposed to perform that task on a monthly basis.
Monthly Home Maintenance Checklist – December 2014
- If you are hosting a holiday meal, take time to plan the menu and make sure you have all of the cooking tools, cookware, and table-setting supplies you will need. Allow for some extra time to clean items that have been packed away all year.
- After the holidays, give your oven a thorough cleaning. Use the self-cleaning cycle or clean your oven without using harsh chemicals by making a simple paste of baking soda and water.
- If you live in an area with a high snowfall average, place markers along your driveway.
- Clean inside and above your cabinets, and wash the outsides with a degreaser and furniture cleaner (such as Murphy’s Oil Soap, if you have wood cabinets). Rinse and dry with clean rags.
- If you have a radon remediation system, check for leaks caused by condensation. (I just had quite a big leak coming from our system. Glad I caught it before the water spread all over the basement.)
- Replace the water filter in your refrigerator, if you haven’t done it recently. Most filters should be replaced every 3 months.
- Add (or replace) a box of baking soda in your refrigerator and freezer. The baking soda minimizes odors and should be replaced every 3 months.
- Clean your dryer vent – inside and out.
- Lubricate door locks and hinges. WD-40 works well.
- Test all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace batteries if they have not been replaced within the past 6 months, especially since holiday lights and space heaters used during winter months are both frequent causes of house fires.
- Test your home security system to make sure each zone/sensor is working. Unfortunately, ’tis the season for break-ins.
- Check all downspouts and gutters to make sure they are not blocked or leaking.
- Check filter in HVAC system. Change it if needed.
- Check unfinished areas of basement and attic for leaks near foundation and roof.
- Check water softener. Refill salt if necessary.
- Disinfect garbage disposal. (For directions refer to January’s monthly checklist.)
- Disinfect all trashcans, including your outdoor trashcans.
- Check and clean dehumidifier or humidifier filters.